Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


This morning I actually managed to get through to tech support (for the second time in months). Explained my problem "yes we'll send you this little program to fix it". I wondered how the little program would fix it.

It turns out to be a generic program that lets you edit the max dial-up MTU. Set to 576, and it fixes all the problems I've been having. I just wish I knew why changing that setting fixes everything. (Especially when many, MANY other ISP's do NOT have this problem)

It was beginning to get particularly frustrating because I'd just won a couple of eBay auctions and needed to email people so I could finalise payments and things. Also won a Hoyts movie pass from ACNielson.consult (online survey people).

Merry Christmas!


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Dec. 5th, 2002 03:41 pm (UTC)
We had this problem on a Telstra dialup -- upgrading to SP3 of Win2K fixed it, and if you weren't running SP1 of WinXP that might explain the troubles you had with both of them? Apparently BigPond at least has some really fucked up MTU negotation. I didn't think of this earlier because you're not on BigPond, and the problem I fixed only happened last week. If you're already running the latest everything, well . . . that's even worse, since they'd be the only ISP I know dumber than Telstra. :p
Dec. 6th, 2002 05:03 am (UTC)
If *.flow.net.au is Bigpond, then it would be obvious, otherwise they could be just set up in a similar way to Bigpond.

I'm running W2K SP2 atm.
Dec. 6th, 2002 01:29 am (UTC)
Dec. 6th, 2002 05:09 am (UTC)
Thats not even a question. To what are you referring to? Am I on ADSL? No. Do you really care about what the original post is about, or are you commenting because you have nothing better to do?
Dec. 6th, 2002 02:47 pm (UTC)
I'm lazy, ok, too lazy to type out a question, are you on adsl, no? this is a common problem faced on ADSL, hence the reason why I asked, i guess it might effect dialup and other connections as well, so i'll tell you my theory anyway, which, will probably be a long way off, because you didn't tell us what the original problem was.

Whats the problem associated with the MTU? Can't connect to certain websites?

If so, it's because the web server gets freaked out by the size of the request packet or something along those lines. In the confusion it doesn't respond to your request. www.abc.com.au and ninemsn.com.au are good examples of this.

if it's something else, well, i have nfi
Dec. 6th, 2002 06:40 pm (UTC)
I was sure I'd actually said in particular what the problem was in an earlier post, but looking back I don't seem to. My bad.

Since about September, I think, I've been having trouble sending email and accessing sites after a form post (ie fill out form click on submit - resulting page times out). Very frustrating when you don't know the answer, and trying to look for an answer on such a strange problem is difficult. Probably what I thought was me posting about it was me complaining to a few people whom I talk to on IM about it constantly.

Thanks for the informative reply. That certainly makes sense.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )


Steve P
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow